Nov 19, 2012

Grafting cheat sheet

For quite some time I have been interested in learning how to graft purl stitches or a combination of knit and purl stitches, for example, in ribbing.
Then recently, a knitting friend gave me an interesting article to read that explained the entire topic in detail and also provided step by step instructions and charts.
However, since I understand the concept, but can't remember the different steps for different combinations of knit and purl stitches I wanted a small chart that I can put in my tool kit. So I created a cheat sheet.

Since the topic came up at the last Rotterdam Stitch'nBitch, and others were interested in my cheat sheet, here it is (the sheet and the instructions assume that you know the basics of grafting):




Comments:
V = knit stich
- = purl stitch
I used 'V' for the knit stitch because it resembles what a knit stitch looks like, and '-' for the purl stitch for the same reason.

The fields marked in blue are the first two stitches on the front needle to be grafted.

Check the first two stitches on your front needle and find a match in one of the blue fields.
Then look at the chart above the blue field to see in which direction you will need to insert the grafting needle.

Example:
If you are working a 2 x 2 rib (2 knit stitches, 2 purl stitches) and your first two stitches on the front needle are two knit stitches:
use chart A,



Front needle: 
insert the grafting needle into the first stitch as if to knit (and drop the stitch), then insert the grafting needle into the second stitch as if to purl:


Back needle:
insert the grafting needle into the first stitch as if to purl (and drop the stitch), then insert the grafting needle into the second stitch as if to knit:
Continuing the 2 x 2 rib, your next stitch combination would be a knit and then a purl stitch; so use chart B next.

You are welcome to print the chart if you feel it might be useful to you. I printed and laminated it and keep it in my tool kit.

Happy grafting.

Edit: There was a typo in the original chart - which I corrected and updated Nov 20. My apologies!!

2 comments:

  1. Many thanks Usch, I will need to sit down with some needles to work this out I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great Usch, thanks for sharing!

    Martine

    ReplyDelete

You might also like